NEW YORK — The suspect in Tuesday’s deadly terror attack in New York City was known to U.S. authorities because his name was associated with the subjects of other FBI counterterrorism investigations in 2015, an intelligence source said, CBS News’ Pat Milton reports.
The intelligence source said the suspect, 29-year-old Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, had some contact with those individuals, who were considered radicalized extremists. One of the individuals was Uzbek.
Missouri Dept. of Corrections
It is unclear whether the individuals under investigation at the time were in the United States or overseas. Saipov was not the main focus of the investigation. It is unclear if he was interviewed by the FBI at the time.
Earlier Wednesday, police said Saipov had been planning the attack that killed eight people Tuesday “for a number of weeks” and closely followed instructions published online by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
In addition to those killed, 12 people were wounded, according to Dan Nigro, the commissioner of the New York City Fire Department. Six people died on the scene, and two others died after arriving at the hospital.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.