Last Updated Nov 1, 2017 12:37 AM EDT
Five Argentine nationals and a Belgian were among those killed when ain New York City on Tuesday, authorities said.
CBS News has identified the suspect as, who once worked as an Uber driver. Police shot the suspect after he exited the vehicle and shouted “Allahu Akbar” — Arabic for “God is great.” He is currently in police custody and offiicals said they are investigating the incident as an act of terror.
The Argentine victims were identified as Hernán Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damián Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernán Ferruchi. They were from the city of Rosario and were celebrating the 30th anniversary of their high school graduation, Argentina’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
CBS Evening News
Many of the injured taken to Bellevue Hospital
Many of those injured Tuesday in a terror attack in New York City were taken to Bellevue Hospital. Michelle Miller is there with more.
One more person, Martín Ludovico Marro, is recovering at New York Presbyterian Hospital, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. Marro is currently a resident of Newton, Mass., and had been traveling with the five Argentine victims in NYC, CBS Boston reports. They were going to then travel to Boston, Newton Councilman and family friend Jim Cote told CBS Boston.
Belgium’s deputy spokesman of foreign affiars, Matthieu Branderssay, said a Belgian citizen died and three were injured and currently hospitalized. Their names have not yet been released.
Officials tell CBS News that 10 patients were treated New York-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital, including two people who died.
CBS News’ Michelle Miller reported from Bellevue Hospital — about 3 miles away from the crime scene near the World Trade Center. Five patients were rushed to that hospital and two were taken immediately into surgery.
Miller says officials are being careful to identify the injured before releasing information. CBS News has learned that six people died at the scene.
President Trump called the attack “cowardly” and said “we must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country.”
In a longer statement, thewill “provide its full support to the New York City Police Department, including through a joint investigation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”
First lady Melania Trump also tweeted about the incident, writing her “heart breaks for NYC.”
High school students in the area told CBS News’ DeMarco Morganand immediately took off running for safety when they saw what happen. They said they heard gunshots but weren’t sure if they were from police subduing the suspect.
Morgan reports there were also many children in their costumes trick or treating for Halloween in the area.
Witness Greg Ahl told CBS New York that the scene looked like the “vehicle drove down the bicycle path and ran everything over.”
© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.